Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Thank You: By A Fire Department Auxiliary Member

Thank You: By A Fire Department Auxiliary Member
For Plattsburgh Press Republican JILL Magazine
March 2006

Within a year of our moving to the Adirondacks, our new next-door-neighbors convinced my spouse to join the volunteer fire department. After several fires and emergencies, I volunteered for the Auxiliary, which is mostly female family members and friends of fire fighters.

Our firefighters put their lives at risk for the people in the community. They leap out of bed as faithfully as dogs whether snow, sleet or dark of night. They help people when conditions are worst. Our town’s firefighters are heroes. The auxiliary helps run the services and social side of the fire department. When there’s a disaster, the auxiliary provides hot meals and a warm smile at the fire house. We show up at fires with cold drinks for workers and a kind helping hand where needed. We host a holiday party where every town child receives a gift and gets a photo with special guest Santa Claus. It’s a family and community institution, and I love being a part of it.

Sunday in February, just after dawn the pager went off: structure fire. My spouse kissed me and launched out of bed. I moved more slowly. On my bleary way to the fire I stopped at the firehouse to prepare drinks for the firefighters. At Stewart’s I requested and received an immediate donation of coffee supplies. (Thanks.) When I arrived at the firehouse I identified myself and showed my membership pin, offered drinks,. Then my next-door neighbor’s oldest son appeared and was delighted to get a cup of hot coffee and a pat on the back. This was one of his first fires.

At the top of the steep dirt mountain road was the cluster of flashing machinery and lights and hoses snaking along the frozen ground. Another neighbor approached to wave me off, and broke into a grin when he saw it was me. I wandered through the hectic, noisy scene. The closer I got to the actual fire, as I met gazes and shook hands, the faces changed from my neighbors’ friendly mugs to stern and serious strangers…who are by and large SO handsome! And I am married to the finest one.

I left the heavy thermoses of hot coffee and cold water on the broad metal step of an idling fire truck. The commander accepted my offering graciously and I felt I had done a good job. As soon as I could I left. Didn’t want to see the fire or know too much about it. Someone else’s pain.

Now I've draped my beloved husband’s filthy fire gear near the woodstove to dry. His heavy tan and fluorescent jacket was encrusted with snow crystals when he took it off. His pants, of equally heavy fabric with reflective stripes, are drier but slick with soot. The big rubber boots will air out. His ominous helmet I've got resting prone on the fireproof platform surrounding our stove. A facemask and netting to cover the hair are hanging over the top of the black iron fireplace tools. Ice crystals are heavy there, too. Sweat and water and maybe tears.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martha - you are a very good writer - I, like Terry, want to encourage you.

After hearing you read the story of Rhonda at the Recovery Lounge Open Mic night a few weeks ago - your voice has become imprinted in my mind. When I read your blog stories - I read them in your voice. I like that. I always read Billy Grahams columns the same way - in his preaching voice. Terry and I are off to France in two days - then Portugal in April and again to Burgundy in May - oh what an exciting life we lead on the wine trail. ox Julie

Anonymous said...

Martha,

I just entered my e-mail account and I must admit that I have not been here in quite a while. I am so happy that I happened to wander in tonight, I found your invitation and glading came inside to read your posting.

I am happy to read your words and to also know that I am somehow part of your life and experiences.

I am jelous, maybe I should say envious of your experiences and your ability to see the world with such a sense of wonder and appreciation.

I was once, like you involved in my community and the lives of my neighors. I somehow have lost this sense of wonder and no longer engage in these onding activites.

Maye you will inspire me to rejoin life in a small town.

Thank you for your invitation and your generosity to include me in your experiences.

Bunny

Anonymous said...

amazing! i had no idea that you are such a gifted writer and artist. more, more, more!