Saturday, March 13, 2004

Note to friends in response to today's New York Times article that Ruth Simmons, President of Brown University is leading the institution through a process to examine its history of involvement with slavery:

This is so beautiful! Years ago I met a distant relative whose great-great-grandparents were owned by my great-great-grandparents. I was already deeply involved in social justice work, but that chance meeting brought it home like a frying pan to my forehead. I wonder how many of us would have the bravery and humility to do personally what Brown's trustees and Ruth Simmons (former Smith president, I might add) have the courage to lead Brown through.

These days I might grumble and groan at my tight financial situation, but I also know that every advantage I've had throughout my life is STILL, despite my father's early disinheritance, due in part to a legacy of the resources built up by slaves.

No comments: