A gorgeously sunny but frigid day. Spent much time planning our garden and thinking about eating our own produce throughout the winter. Also have in mind plenty of flowers and herbs, both perennial and annual. The gardens' success will depend on a few things: our ability to till the soil, the qualities of the soil (former pasture, so we assume it's good,) the hardiness of the plants in this silly climate and against the prevailing southeast wind that comes up our valley, and the black flies. I am afraid of the black flies. Is it possible that they are the scourge everyone says they are? I dread them. I plan to drape a sunhat with gauze and be out there gardening despite the little munchers. I will go through the novice gardener's trial of weeding - am I killing a treasure and saving a piece of trash?
What else is planted on our land? We saw it in early spring and again in mid-summer. There are vast stands of lilacs, hundred-year-old lilacs. There are a few clumps of plants that were clearly placed intentionally but I have no idea what they are now. There was a huge swath of yellow flowers planted inside one of the barn foundations, and some tiger lilies. Trees -- ancient maples, a handful of fruit trees, a fir and a bunch of shade trees I can't name.
Read a comparison the other day that is much better than "apples and oranges": "cheese and chalk." Unless one wants to compare like things. Then it would be "Gouda and Gruyere."
This evening we're going to see "The Sound of Music" at the local high school. Paul J has some leadership role in producing it.
Saturday, March 13, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment