


Two years ago my beloved and I and our cats moved to the North Country from a big city so we could live simply and learn how to raise some of our own food. We bought an ancient farm and have been slowly reviving it, with a lusty garden in our first year and “chigs and pickens” in this, our second year of country life. We plan to fence in our modest acreage and raise beef cattle next year.
I work at a farm-school and so receive lots of thoughtful guidance about what to do as we start our small farm. Plus we get helpful commentary from neighbors: the lady selling fire department raffle tickets at the hardware store, the man on a bicycle who stops at our flat section of Route 9N to fix a tire. The books our town librarian checks out for us give her plenty of knowledge about this couple of newcomers: “Raising Poultry for Food” and “Everything You Need To Know About Pigs” and “Build It Yourself”.
Today we slaughtered our first chickens. They were genetically selected for meat production, with enormous breasts and chunky wings and thighs, and soft white feathers easily plucked, supported on sturdy ungraceful yellow legs. They waddled like heavy toddlers. The birds spent their days outdoors in spring and summer weather, slept in a hand-made coop, enjoyed limitless corn and bug-snatching and playing in the grass during their brief lives. We wanted them to live well, be happy and have painless deaths before we ate them.
My husband laid each uncomplaining chicken’s slender white neck on the smooth cut surface of a log and beheaded it in one clean stroke of a sharp axe. Immediately pressing the neckstump against the grass to absorb the briefly pumping blood, he held the heavy jerking body as the last electrical impulses of life churned through it—no undignified running around with heads cut off. When each warm feathered body was motionless, my husband took the animal by its legs and dunked it in a vat of steaming water to loosen the feathers. The work of plucking, gutting, cleaning and packing the meat went quickly. I wrinkled my nose at the stink of hot wet feathers, murmured thanks to the birds who were next to die, snoozing inside cat carriers under a blanket in the back of our truck.
The heritage breed egg-laying birds who remain in our hen yard are maturing into soft, multicolored, clucking creatures. When they are “spent”, as my farming friend calls it, we will kill them, too, and take meat from their bodies. Soon we will butcher our pigs, playful buddies full of life who come running when I approach, who sink to their knees in grunting ecstasy when I scratch their flanks and who gleefully recycle all our food waste.
This afternoon my dear cat died and I miss her very much. She lived by the sword, a vigorous killer of birds, mice and moles, full of zest for climbing trees and love for her human companions. We knew that by letting her run free outside we were exposing her to risks like cars and coyotes, but we chose to accept those risks in order to give her the fierce pleasures of country life. She was happy until the instant she ceased to exist. My husband dug a deep hole in the center of our garden and, sobbing, I laid my cat to rest next to her favorite toy, a coyote foot discarded from the taxidermist. Why today was her day to die I cannot say. I think of the white chickens to whom I murmured thanks for their lives this morning, and the purring cat into whose warm black fur I murmured sweet nothings every day I knew her, and I feel grief and ambivalence and a sense of mystery.
Here in the North Country I am learning about death, life and love.
10 comments:
Found your post "Death Lessons" while searching for snow shoes. Not exactly what i needed, but very interesting read anyway.
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Keep up the great work. Well, off to find more info on snow shoes.
Thanks-
I can never find exactly what i need on the web. I was actually searching for snowshoes when i came across your site.
Don't get me wrong, Im happy i did. Thats the reason for my comment. I wanted to tell you that even though i searched for snowshoes, and ended up your post "Death Lessons", i was very impressed with your content.
Keep up the great work, and i will come back often to look for updates.
Thanks-
Cool blog Martha. Keep it up. I'll make some time to read more info soon :-)
BATH BALL FILTER.COM
Hey Martha, you have a great blog here! I am searching for information on humming bird feeder mix and I just want to thanks for the read, I hope to write as well some day. Yours, Death Lessons is one of many that I will research. If you get some time check out humming bird feeder mix at my site and give some input, thanks again.
Cool blog Martha. Keep it up. I'll make some time to read more info soon :-)
KDF WATER FILTERS.COM
Great blog Martha. I'm glad I stopped for a moment to read what you have to say :-)
Cool blog Martha. Keep it up. I'll make some time to read more info soon :-)
Hi Martha, I'm over here in Hawaii on vacation and found a nice internet connection. I started searching blogs to get some ideas for my top dog houses site, and fell into this excellent blog you have here. When I came on vacation I knew I'd get to surf the net, but I didn't think I'd get treat like this. The only good blogs are ones with owners like you, actually putting energy into them. Okay, just wanted to say hi and 'you're awesome' - better get back to my top dog houses research...
good day ~~~
Well Martha, quality blogging comes from people who put the energy into their blog like you have. It was a nice change to land on your blog, lots of others are junked up with useless comments and information. I put a lot of energy into my small dog houses site, so it does pretty well with small dog houses stuff. I think I'll re-create my blog because I like what you've done here and want mine to be more like yours. Thanks for the lesson in good bloggin. You get a special bookmark :)
have a fantastic day..
Post a Comment