Saturday, February 5, 2005
John’s firefighter uniform hangs dripping in the basement near the cat boxes. This morning was his first fire, a “fully-engaged structure fire.” The call came at about 6:45—we were awake instantly because it is unusual for the Upper Jay tones to sound. At first I thought the dispatcher said “awful fire,” but pragmatic John said it was “possible fire” and was probably a false alarm, being near Ward Lumber. But no, in moments a second call came through, the dispatcher seeming excited, saying, “Second call, structure fire confirmed, Upper Jay and Jay firefighters report immediately…” John got dressed and left, taking my cell phone with him because he needed to be in Lake Placid for his under-the-table refereeing job in a few hours, and would need me to come pick him up. I clattered around the house, waking up for real, groggy and excited, talking to myself and the dog, the cats. I wanted to go see the fire, wanted to be there when John needed to be picked up, wanted to go back to sleep, wanted him to be home all at once. I started the car to warm it up and got dressed, brewed coffee. During these twenty minutes the dispatcher called Wilmington, Au Sable Forks and Keene fire departments and the ambulance from Au Sable Forks. Big fire, serious danger. I told Cruiser I would be back, put boots and coat in the now-warm car and took off toward Jay. Cold morning, everything glittery and salt-soaked. Little snow depth but much snow coverage, the river still frozen and white. Clear sky. As I rounded the river bend near the Stones’ house, that halfway point where I have ridden my bike and then soaked my sweating head in the cold river, the sky over Jay began to come into view, with a slow pink-stained handkerchief of cloud or smoke over the hills.
I pressed on, cruising at 80. The fields and houses and river dwindled by and off to the right, far across the river I saw a plume of pale smoke above the trees. It rose in cloudy, tight billows until a certain layer of atmosphere, when it flattened out and streamed northward with the air currents. I knew that pale smoke meant steam—water applied; black smoke would be worse. I felt a pang for the family, hoped no one was hurt, wondered what John was doing. I drove into Jay, braking down to a reasonable 40 as the car rose up the gentle hill, passed familiar summertime landmarks—the Jay Green, the rapids of the Au Sable River underneath the one-lane bridge. I noted that the new covered bridge was completely clad in golden fresh wood. Once they have built their large truck-suitable bridge, nothing will replace the innocence of that covered crossing over the swimming holes. But I digress.
After Ward Lumber on the Glen Road I saw flashing lights, ominous and iconic. I wanted John. A tall, androgynous older woman flagged me to a stop at the corner and I explained I was a firefighter’s wife, he needed to be picked up for work. She told me to park between this and that red truck and not to exit my vehicle, ma’am. So, eager to please and cowed, I pulled in and sat, anxious, sipping my hazelnut decaf. Three men were conferring on the road ahead of me. One of them separated and came toward the car; amiably I rolled down the passenger side window. He leaned his forearms on the edge and we chatted. I assumed he was an official and explained my presence. He didn’t know John. Finally he said he wasn’t a fire department person, was just a neighbor watching. He recommended I go talk to that man in the gray jacket. So I did, once again explaining—wife, pick up, confused, where should I go? The man in gray said I should just walk on up to the fire. So I did, heart pounding, conscious of my posture, not wanting to be ejected nor to get in the way, nor to embarrass my husband.
The day was clear and cold, everything sort of faintly hazed by salt in the air or a thin tinge of smoke. There were no sirens, no noise. I turned off the paved road onto someone’s two-track driveway, longer than I had expected. Fat beige hoses wavered along the ruts, as thick as my thigh. A rivulet of water trickled away from the fire. I avoided both water and hoses, concentrated on keeping my balance on the frozen hump in the middle of the drive, my black Sorel boots a warm cushion.
There were fire trucks, utility vans, the enormous pick-up trucks that men here drive as a badge of membership in the North Country. Dozens of firefighters in their dirty yellowish uniforms, their classic hats and black stripes, somber faces. The smoke climbed like a fierce thing, huge and silent. I heard the crackling of the fire before I saw it. No voices, but the humming of motors left running, the spew of exhaust fumes a distraction in my peripheral vision. The crispy snow was flecked with black ash and tiny holes.
I moved forward cautiously, and was glad to be ignored. The firefighters were moving in teams, some with hoses, some with tools, some taking a rest near trucks, some standing in a distant, alert group like athletes in the box waiting for their turn on the field. My age-old fear of large machines lurched out and then sank again as I walked between rumbling fire trucks. Then voices and shouts and the fire, orange and reaching out from a broken window, reminding me oddly of an air conditioner. I stood for a while, my back against the grill of a fire engine, heart thumping, droplets of liquid tapping my face. Two girls whose faces I know from summertime wandered past me, looking at me as if I were an authority or an interloper, I couldn’t tell which. I didn’t smile—not a smiling occasion.
All I could see of the volunteers was their backs, uniformly drab and strong. I stepped forward to get a closer view and saw the sadness of the house, not a large house, just a home, enormous with flames and leaking wisps of smoke from shingles and siding. Striding from around the side came a set of firemen, with one in a distinctive black top—and the square-jawed face beneath the helmet was my own beloved, grim and serious and heroic.
John and the Upper Jay fire leader (Captain? Chief?) passed me unseeing, intent in discussion, planning their next move, I imagined. I feared I might lose sight of John again, and realized that probably he was too engrossed and this fire too big for him to leave to ref a hockey game. I wondered how I could be helpful. When he and his colleagues stopped walking and stood to watch the action, I crept up behind John and touched his sooty hot palm with my hand. He turned and looked down and was happy to see me. We loped off together toward the utility truck, and he gave me back my cell phone, asking me to find a way to contact his ref boss. I love John in a crisis, always cool-headed and looking ahead a few steps. He wears the black with reflective stripes because he is one of the “inside men,” those who are smaller (John says—in better shape, I say,) and have been trained to go inside the burning building to search for victims and survivors. He said that the family was fine, no one was in the building, but it was a terrible tragedy because they had just lost a child. I later learned that it was an adult child, but still.
This area is so sparsely populated that there is a network closer than six degrees between all of us. I made ten or so unsuccessful calls to directory assistance asking for the phone number for the Olympic Arena, then to Lake Placid friends to ask them to look—no one answered. Then I had the bright idea to call the LP fire house, because John had mentioned that his ref supervisor is also a fire fighter. The friendly man who answered knew what I was talking about and knew the person John needed to reach. He said he would find Butch, the ref boss, and offered to call me back and let me know. I felt infinitely soothed by this fatherliness, neighborliness, masculinity.
(I have learned so much since moving up here about accepting the archetypal masculine and feminine roles that my mother has talked about forever that I have objected to forever. Well, now I am here in a wild and rough place, where there isn’t much wiggle room for liberal ideas in a place where you could die any day from cold or bears or logs crushing you.)
After getting the message to John’s ref boss I knew I had no business at the scene, so I left as slinkily as I came, hoping no one would notice me. I drove home much more slowly, and stopped at the Upper Jay firehouse expecting the Ladies Auxiliary to be there making coffee and sandwiches, but there was no one there at all. I was conscious again of overcoming my objection to the idea of “Ladies Auxiliary,” because in that moment I knew exactly what the term meant and how important the function is for both hard-working fire-fighters and their anxious spouses, and for the traumatized, displaced families. John came home about four hours later, reeking of smoke, arm muscles pumped up, veins bulging. He took a quick shower and I cooked him a hero’s breakfast of five eggs and two diced hot dogs with pepper jack cheese, and then he was off to ref hockey for eight hours. He is a dynamo.
Saturday, February 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment